Senior Staff Engineer
Senior Staff Engineer
At Wayfair, we are solving complex business problems with technology to serve our millions of customers, to sell and deliver a catalog of millions of products, and to continue growing at a rapid pace. Building on our profitability in North America, Europe is a major focus for growth at Wayfair with its unique market challenges and opportunities.
We're looking for a passionate backend and data engineer who loves to solve complex problems, learns fast, shares knowledge, and balances generating business value with reducing technical debt.
Our growing cross-functional engineering teams extend the e-commerce platform with a focus on efficiency and scalability, impacting the business in real-time.
The Senior Staff Engineer serves as a hands-on engineering leader influencing software architecture and our engineers to advance some of our most challenging business problems.
What you’ll do:
- Research into advanced systems relative to Wayfair’s current state
- Lead the development of end-to-end solutions to some of our most difficult challenges
- Develop and communicate a vision for how to evolve our architecture, producing documents and prototypes to influence across a range of people and needs
- Facilitate discussion and cooperative work among engineering leaders and stakeholders to create cohesion around software development and engineering principles
- Support team to implement cross-cutting platform concerns around security, performance and more
- Embed on a rotating basis with various teams throughout the organization to create a culture of quality via coaching, pair programming, design sessions, and code review
- Leverage self-directed time to invest in the platform, yourself, and the open source community
- Mentor and coach others
What you’ll need:
- Demonstrated ability to achieve quality results across a range of initiatives
- High level of initiative and passion for achieving our business results
- Analytical skills and ability to effectively articulate, document and communicate technical information
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Interpersonal skills and communication skills in formal as well as informal settings using both written and verbal communication
- Motivation and commitment to lead and mentor others to exceptional results
- Analytical and decision-making skills that integrate technical and business requirements
- Adaptation and flexibility skills to recognize and initiate the need for change.
At Wayfair, we want every new engineer to help raise the bar for our engineering teams -- to bring in new ideas, to mentor strong engineers, and to serve as a model of a technical leader. All of these aspects are particularly important for this role. We value people who are: risk-taking, data-oriented & collaborative. We place tremendous value on engineers who are excited to make an impact on the overall business.
And finally, our proposition to you!
- A competitive salary, yearly bonus, and an attractive equity package
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops, and other exciting events
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally and closely with senior leadership, not only in the Berlin office but also with Boston, London, and Galway
- We offer a vast selection of classes through our learn@work program to enhance your professional and personal development
- Regular company-sponsored social events to connect with your team and fellow colleagues
- An office location in the heart of the Berlin startup scene, with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.Tag: ENGR