Senior Software Engineer- Backend
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. We’re the creative builders solving complex business problems through the newest and most innovative software in e-commerce. From Marketing Engineering and Proprietary Logistics to Development Platforms and Infrastructure Engineering, we leverage open source technology to create our own platforms and engineering tools, and our continuous deployment environment promotes frequent releases to production. We move fast, build to scale, and approach each challenge with agility and creativity.
We are looking for experienced, full-stack Engineering Leader to join our Supply Chain Engineering’s Availability and Planning team, that owns the complex, evolving logic that drives a simple purpose: telling a customer when we think we can deliver their order. This is, fundamentally, a prediction. And making that prediction requires synthesizing information from thousands of warehouses, thousands of carriers terminals, and hundreds of thousands of customer locations. And we have to make the prediction in under 10 milliseconds.
The team is looking for people to help our ongoing efforts to scale, including web service traffic (100M requests/day), supply chain data processing in SQL (100M rows/day), and event-driven messaging systems generating searchable predictions for a large catalog (10M products). If you have a background working with complex data structures, distributed systems, and fast iteration in an agile environment- this is the role for you. We are looking a motivated person who enjoys innovation, and wants to lead and mentor a fast-growing team.
If you have a background working with complex data systems and fast iteration in an agile environment, this is the role for you. We deeply value: curiosity, collaboration, and an eagerness to make an impact on the business.
- Expanded delivery predictions for weekend, same-day, and international carrier networks
- Dynamically routing orders based on optimized inventory replenishment strategies
- Packing algorithms to support product bundling and opportunities for reduced ship costs
What You'll Do
Lead technical roadmaps, design, and implementation within a team of high performing engineers that will shape the future of delivering very large items from suppliers to customers.
- Actively network within Engineering to establish rapport with other leaders across the organization
- Mentors new hires and other engineers to help them “level up” and become more proficient by example, tech talks, pairing, and other avenues to increase technical efficiency across the organization.
- Handle ambiguity with limited oversight; leverage technical acumen, experience, and network to answer questions and remove roadblocks.
- Propose and own initiatives to completion while balancing various tradeoffs including speed to delivery vs ongoing maintainability and others.
- Provide high quality code reviews and technically complex architectural designs
- Bring in new ideas from other internal teams as well as external best practices
- Participates with leadership in making decisions around roadmapsCollaborates well with senior management, product managers, and all other stakeholders
What You'll Need
- Mastery of a modern programming language (preferably PHP)
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Experience leading a large, cross-cutting technical initiative to delivery
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Proficient in designing systems at scale
- Proficient in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Proficient in a modern frontend framework (preferably React)
- Proficient in writing SQL queries against a relational database
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.Tag: ENGR