EU Counsel - (M/F)
Wayfair is looking for Berlin-based European Counsel to join a small legal department to support Wayfair’s rapidly-growing business in Europe. This candidate will be the second lawyer hired by Wayfair in Europe and will work on all day-to-day legal matters in Europe, particularly Germany and the UK.
Reporting to the Head of EU Legal and collaborating closely with EU-based senior leaders, the lawyer in this role must be able to think strategically and apply sound judgment to critical corporate projects. As part of a small legal group where all members contribute at every level, this lawyer must develop a mastery of both the big and small picture.
Candidates should be able to work cross-functionally and independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, pay meticulous attention to detail, and be responsive to business managers. This person should be a creative problem solver and capable project manager.
As the second legal hire in Europe, this candidate will have the unique opportunity to help build out the legal function in Europe as part of a pragmatic, business-oriented team.
What You'll Do:
- Negotiating contracts with suppliers and vendors in Europe.
- Providing strategic advice to our European leadership team.
- Managing outside counsel.
- Work with our tech teams on GDPR.
- Collaborating with various teams in Europe and US on product compliance initiatives.
- Provide practical legal training to various business functions in Europe.
What You'll Need:
- Fully qualified German lawyer.
- Fluent in German and English. Excellent legal drafting, negotiation and communication skills, both oral and written in English and German.
- 4 years’ professional experience in an international law firm or in house, preferably ecommerce/technology.
- Experience working in an international company desirable, but not required
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
- Experience working on Intellectual Property topics desirable, but not required.
- Self-directed, motivated individual who is able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, high volume environment and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills, ability to manage many projects with minimal supervision, customer service (internal and external) attitude and attention to detail.
- Most importantly: Willingness to master new and unfamiliar areas of practice. Willingness to be hands-on and contribute in projects large and small.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.