Engineering Director of Core App
Wayfair’s founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
As a founder-led company with a global footprint, we continue to look for pragmatic, innovative problem solvers to join our Engineering team. If you are truly passionate about technology and can move across the stack to craft solutions for customers, this role may be for you.
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
How will you be Challenged?
Wayfair’s App Engineering teams are focused on using the tools and capabilities of native devices to transform the furniture buying experience into something that is intuitive, fun and exciting. As the head of Core App, you will lead the platform teams that are not just focused on bringing native equivalents to our users’ web and mobile web experiences but also enabling experiences that can only be possible on a native app platform. Our end-user facing apps have grown a lot and are bringing in around 20% of Wayfair's revenue.
What Will You Do?
You should enable building great, high performing, diverse native app teams as well as supporting building delightful software for both iOS and Android. You will have a profound impact on native app development across Wayfair.
Core App is currently focused on the following main initiatives:
- Speed up native app performance
- Redesign the native apps to make the experience truly native and fun
- Make the native apps more stable and allow the native app platform, processes and infrastructure to scale as we are growing the native apps to keep our native apps reliable to all our users
- Make it easier for native app developers to do their job and build awesome apps across Wayfair.
As the engineering head of Core App,
- You will be the biggest champion of native app at Wayfair
- You will scale the app team at Wayfair to new heights through hiring, onboarding, upgrading our processes and coaching
- You will collaboratively refine a vision for Native App at Wayfair
- You will mentor and coach the native app leaders across Wayfair
- You will make Core App collaborate with stakeholders across teams and offices effectively
- You will continue to improve the quality and velocity of the native app teams
- You will keep native app development top of mind at Wayfair
- You will upgrade our infrastructure to scale with the sheer increase of app developers to support
- You will give back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups and open sourcing some of our apps.
- Our native app won Webby Awards for our use of ARKit to allow our customers to render our furniture as 3D models in their living space.
- We worked with staff and senior engineers to re-architect our app into a suite of infrastructure and feature modules.
- Waychat is an in-app messaging service that give customers the ability to chat with customer service agents in real time and through the main Wayfair Android app. This is built using GraphQL and push notifications for message delivery. The Waychat messaging service is now being used across Wayfair for a variety of other applications.
- We developed a new internal bootcamp program to train new mobile developers at scale.
Who Are You?
- You have experience driving architectural and design related decisions. You have led the development of both iOS and Android apps at scale for all kind of app including end-user facing apps
- You deeply understand native app development and its organizational and technical challenges. You have experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc).
- You have lead, recruit, and mentor managers and developers at multiple career levels.
- You owned the quality and technical excellence of your teams and their work
- You have built cross-functional partnerships across teams to help deliver complex and powerful new features that span platforms
- You have worked with design, product managers, and analytics to shape roadmaps and goals across groups
- You have driven processes for recruitment, training, and performance evaluation
- You have supported native app developers by driving app tooling and infrastructure
- You have improved processes across web, infrastructure, and analytics to improve collaboration across tech stacks
- You had an active role in shaping the culture and technical standards of an engineering organization.
- You have experience with developing on Android Java, Swift, or Objective-C on publicly available apps supported by RESTful web services, and having a past track record of encouraging collaboration across both iOS and Android
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent with at least 15+ years of professional development experience or at least 10+ years of full-time software development experience.
- You have at least 5+ years leading teams as a manager