Senior Engineering Manager (m/f)
Are you ready for your next leadership challenge?
At Wayfair, we believe that everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items.
By reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery – we are committed to delighting our customers every step of the way and we have the number to back it up. We generated $5.7B in net revenue for the twelve months ending June 30, 2018 and continue to see year growth at 48% YoY.
With operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 1600 engineers. We are making a significant investment to grow our Engineering capability in Berlin as our team here continues to drive tremendous growth for the business. To support our ambitions we are looking for engineers to join us in the following areas:
- Development Platforms - Build the platform that allows 1600 Engineers to develop and ship code with speed and safety.
- Supplier Extranet - The admin web portal and tools that allows more than 14k suppliers to handle inventory, prices, orders and other interactions with Wayfair.
- Order Management - The platform and global toolset for customers, internal service and operation teams to offer excellent end-to-end service across millions of orders.
- Storefront - Everything customer facing. From Berlin we handle global features like Payments (>$5.7B/year), User-Generated Content (400k product reviews and 70k customer questions a month), and platform tech such as core native app architecture and Internalization tools.
- Merchandising - The platform to manage a catalog of over 10 million items that grows by 150k new items a month.
- Transportation - Tech that enables us to deliver to our customers from carpets to couches across countries in extremely short lead times, sometimes down to a day.
- Warehousing - The tech that enables us to effectively manage ~700k sqm across 16 warehouses in 4 different countries, stocking and shipping millions of products per month.
Why you might like to join us?
As Engineers, we work closely with our business and product counterparts and we get a significant level of responsibility for the success of our products - from idea to production deployment and operations. Every product at Wayfair can have impact at scale.
As a full-time employee at Wayfair, you have the opportunity to own part of the company, to share in the success and truly run it like you own it - because you do.
We offer an international english speaking environment with over 60 nationalities represented across our teams in Berlin. We are committed to building that are collaborative, supportive and inclusive because it is important for us that you can be yourself.
We are a fast growing organization. There are always new opportunities for professional development and personal growth. You will have the resources to develop your skills, share knowledge with others, and grow yourself.
We offer a highly competitive salary, bonus, and benefits along with equity in a publicly listed company (NYSE: W)
What you will do:
- Lead one or more multi-disciplinary engineering teams.
- Ensure your team has a compelling vision, mission, and the metrics to measure progress and success.
- Be accountable for the outcome of your team’s products including design, development, test, monitoring, and deployment.
- Engage your team to construct the technical roadmap and drive planning and delivery and continuous improvement.
- Hire, develop inclusive and collaborative high-performing engineering teams and culture.
- Prioritize and optimize for sustainable time-to-value and high-quality engineering.
- Take calculated risks and manage trade-offs, articulating and taking accountability for the short and long-term consequences with partners.
- Provide technical insight and judgment of feature/schedule/cost trade-offs.
- Maintain and continuously improve agile delivery and engineering practices.
- Lead collaborative design and architecture discussions ensuring different perspective are considered and ensure trade-offs and risks are well understood.
What we look for in you:
- You have an established track record in people and technical leadership.
- Experience of being responsible for the build and operation of products or services of varied scale and complexity.
- Practical experience in hiring and developing engineering teams, individuals, and culture.
- A natural collaborator and communicator with the ability to influence partners and peers at different levels.
- An accomplished mentor and coach with have good performance management skills.
- Software development experience covering database design, programming, algorithms, performance, architecture, testing, monitoring, deployment and 24/7 operations.
- Experience of leading interdisciplinary teams in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Degree in Computer Science, a technical discipline or equivalent work experience
Benefits and perks
- Extensive career and growth opportunities in a fast-growing technology & retail powerhouse
- Training & development, including world-class mentoring and tuition reimbursement for education relevant to your career
- Opportunity to travel to the Boston to work with your global peers
- Subsidized private pension fund (BAV)
- Subsidized gym membership (Urban Sports Club), free yoga classes and wellness weeks
- Subsidized lunch (Smunch), free snacks, fresh fruits and coffee
- Subsidized public transport subscription
- Discounts on Wayfair.de for employee purchases
- Participation in conferences & meetups we organize and sponsor
- Paid volunteering days and matching of charity donations
At Wayfair, we believe that diverse, inclusive, and equitable teams are vibrant teams. We are committed to fostering a company culture where everyone is empowered to innovate together. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, Veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.