Senior Manager, Human Capital Strategy - Global Merchandising
Wayfair is looking for a new Strategic Talent Adviser to join our team.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home and we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology, creative problem-solving, rapid growth, constant learning and dynamic challenges, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. Wayfair is experiencing rapid and dynamic growth across a variety of areas. To help support the current revenue growth we have increased headcount significantly and added offices and locations across the US and Europe. As our employee base and geographic area expands, we are focused on ensuring that we have the right leadership, teams and infrastructure in place to support this larger, more complex organization. A critical component of our success is strong people management and development.
To help support and shape growth across large functional areas, we recently launched a newly formed strategic Talent Strategy Business Partner team comprised of Talent Strategy managers. As a Senior Manager, Talent Strategy supporting our Global Merchandising organization – with a headcount of over 500 full-time employees in the US and EU leveraging a significant offshore team– you will have the opportunity to shape your role while supporting the executive team in a critical functional area. The Merchandising Operations team is Wayfair’s “digital content supply chain” and works with thousands of suppliers to add tens of thousands of products to our site each month, and maintain a catalog of over 10 million SKUs. The team takes a strategic lens to our work, identifying the root cause of and solving problems using technology. The Site Merchandising team manages how items are presented and the preferred merchandising approach for each of the 800 classes comprising more than 8 million items on our site (e.g., what is the “best” image type we should lead with in bar stools)
The Senior Manager, Talent Strategy will report into the Talent Strategy Business Partner lead for our Chief Merchandising Officer with a dotted line into a senior executive on the business. Success in the role comes with the potential to transition into a more operational role over time. Whether coaching managers on how to lead and grow their teams, leading complicated organizational design and change management opportunities, or advising and building programs and initiatives that increase productivity, you’ll be asked to roll up your sleeves and get involved. Wayfair is a data-driven organization, and this is a highly quantitative role. You will partner with a cross functional talent management team to design and execute strategy for how we staff, onboard, develop, motivate, retain and organize our workforce.
Key responsibilities for the Senior Manager, Talent Strategy will include:
- Working with key executive stakeholders in their relevant functional area to develop the talent plan for employees ranging from entry level to executive level
- Helping to identify skill and leadership gaps within the functional area and proposing and implementing changes necessary to put key solutions in place
- Analyzing key employee data for your functional area (e.g., employee engagement surveys, turnover stats, compensation structures, upward feedback) to help improve employee satisfaction, retention and effectiveness
- Working with Talent and key stakeholders to develop long term plans for performance reviews and calibration, compensation and development processes for employees in relevant functional area
- Providing strategic business partnership and coaching to key functional partners on performance feedback, leadership development and conflict management
- 7+ years of experience or 1+ years post MBA experience preferred
- Experience in management consulting, private equity, investment banking, corporate strategy or at fast-paced technology companies preferred
- Passion for people management and development and proven success in these areas
- Thrives in a high growth, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated experience independently developing a strategy and driving tangible results across teams in an ambiguous environment while leveraging data from a multitude of sources to tell a story and impact the overarching strategy. Advanced excel skills needed
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution” and a “get it done” attitude when time is tight and stakes are high
- Proven experience and passion for working across functions and with c-level leaders, synthesizing multiple points of view and owning a coherent action plan, all while negotiating and influencing others
- Demonstrated ability to influence and coach others with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong customer service focus with a sense of urgency and excellent follow through
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.