Senior Software Engineer, Search Technologies
Search Technologies is a highly impactful team within Storefront Engineering at Wayfair that builds fast, reliable and powerful customer-facing search systems across all Wayfair platforms. If a customer types into a search field, browses our catalog, or views products, they are routed through our systems. Our infrastructure is fast, reliable and distributed to provide the most enjoyable browsing and shopping experience for our customers and partners. The scope of data that the Search Technologies team manages includes Wayfair’s entire catalog of products, customer orders, reviews, and even employee knowledge-base articles. Search Technologies is a unique team at Wayfair that exists at the nexus of our infrastructure teams maintaining our physical and cloud resources, our catalog systems that generate millions of updates per day, front-end engineering teams building intuitive interfaces for our customers, and our data science team.
The Search Technologies domain at Wayfair includes:
- Data pipeline systems that can ingest millions of data change events within minutes, funneling them into document updates on our primary search indexes.
- Our search-parsing system that effectively routes keyword searches by customers to the correct components of our system, to provide both search suggestions, as well as the most relevant results.
- Infrastructure to support our Visual Search system, that converts user-uploaded images into visually similar search results using Deep Learning
- Software to maintain our search infrastructure, with caching, failover capabilities, and a customized deployment process.
- Software updates to our core SOLR infrastructure, including JVM performance optimization, data storage and query optimization
- Building Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing tools to augment and enhance Search experience. Ex. knowledge extraction from unstructured text, such as customer reviews, to enhance search relevance.
- Apache Solr, Python, Java, ReactJS, MS SQL Server (as well as other big data and nosql data stores), Kafka, Varnish, Redis & Memcached.
In this role, you’ll join a tight-knit team of highly motivated engineers with a passion for delivering a quality search experience. You will work on challenging projects, collaborate with engineers across multiple teams, and foster a cohesive team in a very dynamic environment. You’ll be expected to participate in creating a set of objectives and results that can drive technological advancements, not just for Wayfair’s business needs, but for our engineering team as a whole.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Language Science or related engineering discipline
- 7+ years of software development experience in Java or Python.
- Substantial experience in relational database (MS SQL or similar) schema design, optimization and architecture
- Ability to work creatively and problem solve independently
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Experience in algorithms and data structures
- Experience with Solr, Lucene, Elasticsearch or similar text-based search technology
- Experience in Natural Language Processing modeling and applications
- Experience with large-scale data processing and design of distributed systems. Experience with streaming technologies like Kafka, Spark, Storm etc are a plus
- Experience in a hybrid, multi-datacenter infrastructure environment
- An ability to communicate technical details to technical and non-technical peers
- Passion for mentoring and leading peer engineers
- A continuous drive to explore, enhance, automate and optimize distributed systems
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.