Operations Research Technical Lead
Wayfair’s Operations Research team is looking for scientists, technologists and researchers to help develop technological solutions for some of Wayfair’s most complex optimization problems with an immediate impact on our operations. We are seeking individuals who can think through creative strategies to develop and execute optimization-based solutions to keep Wayfair efficient as we scale. Many of our projects are in their infancy and do not have pre-existing solutions that overly constrain our approach or design decisions.
Our team’s core areas of focus include:
- Inventory management
- Fulfillment center optimization
- Order routing and fulfillment
- Last mile routing
- Network optimization
This individual will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the development of production software / algorithms powering supply chain and operational decisions at Wayfair on a global scale.
- Leading and mentoring a team of operations research scientists on a variety of projects, from initial conception to final deployment.
- Overseeing the enhancement and maintenance of existing solutions.
- Thinking strategically to identify new areas for future improvements within Wayfair’s operations.
- Working cross-functionally with business stakeholders, as well as coordinating with other software engineering and data science teams
- Ph.D. or MS in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- 4+ years professional experience post advanced degree in Operations Research or a similar role
- Strong knowledge and experience applying optimization methods including linear and mixed-integer programming.
- Experience leveraging optimization solvers like CPLEX or Gurobi.
- The ability to define and structure an approach to loosely-defined problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Professional experience tackling large-scale supply chain problems.
- Experience developing and leading a team of research scientists or analysts.
- Professional experience using Python, C++, Java, or similar.
- Development of software systems.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.