Sr. Database Engineer
Wayfair.com is a leader in the e-commerce space for all things home. The Data Technologies team is looking for smart, passionate and curious people who are excited to help us scale, support and administer our robust cross-datacenter database infrastructure. With the broad reach of the technologies we are using you will have the opportunity to grow your network and skills by being exposed to new people and ideas who work on a diverse set of cutting-edge technologies. If you are the type of person who loves to shave off milliseconds from query execution plans and is interested in problems like replication, sharding, resiliency and scaling, we should talk.
What the Data Technologies team does:
- Technical Experts for SQL Server and MySQL relational databases
- Drives best practices around use and troubleshooting across the engineering organization
- Improves the management, deployment, capacity planning and uptime of customer facing mission critical systems through better monitoring tools and self-healing automation
- 7+ years hands on experience as a SQL Server DBA
- Solid understanding of relational database design and concepts
- An excellent grasp of HA & DR solutions available within SQL Server and experience implementing them (FCI, Log Shipping, Mirroring, Availability Groups, etc.)
- Extensive experience in leading projects such as server migrations, version upgrades, and shared development environment refreshes
- Strong understanding of database replication technologies.
- A deep understanding of performance tuning methodologies and experience optimizing server performance.
- Collecting, monitoring and analyzing systems performance data a plus
- Implement enhancements and updates to complex geo-distributed systems,processes and ensure to stay current on the database technologies.
- Hands-on installation and management of large, complex SQL Server database environments.
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily operations.
- Develop database specifications, documentation. Design database structure layouts (physical and logical)
- Provide Level III support and prompt resolution of Production issues.
Other traits we look for:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-driven individual looking to challenge and further develop their skills and subject matter expertise
- An easy-going attitude and strong sense of humor
- A positive, people-oriented and energetic attitude
- An analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- An interest in working hard and being challenged in a fast-paced environment, and having fun while doing it
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.