Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Wayfair is a leader in the ecommerce space for all things home. We live and breathe modern technologies. We are a “move fast break things, rethink old standards” team with a startup feel but working with massive scale.
On the role you’ll have a multitude of opportunities to flex your strengths as well as learn new technologies while working directly with respective development engineering team. You have a full stack knowledge of the underlying infrastructure, application, and different database requests needed to run respective engaged areas.
We contribute to (and create) bleeding-edge open source projects and continuously push the envelope to explore the future of ecommerce and modern infrastructure systems.
What the Wayfair Site Reliability Engineering team does:
- Writes clean, high-performance, and well tested, infrastructure code with a focus on reusability and automation (Shell, Python, GoLang, Powershell, Puppet, Salt).
- Experience deploying applications to containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Develops monitoring, defines service levels, and helps coordinate product launches and reliability exercises.
- Recommends and implements infrastructure best practices in alignment with standard SRE principles and provide guidance on system performance.
What the this particular Senior Site reliability Engineer role entails:
- Aligning engineering roadmap & initiatives against existing infrastructure scaling need and/or new infrastructure need.
- Remove redundancy within software process and infrastructure with laser focused ‘automation’ mindset.
- Platform evangelist, able to build support for given technology
- Actively able to leverage automation and push devops culture
- Have the ability to learn technical concepts quickly with a strong sense of urgency
- Go to person for architectural design, able to keep business unit designed synced up with global design structure of the company.
- As an engineer, able to design and restructure existing platform with latest technology for both development and production areas. Full grasp of code pipeline for both software and server configuration
- Collaborate and work well within a team.
- Mentors junior engineers and helps develop their skills while assisting them on projects.
Must have skills:
- 5+ years experience in systems and software engineering.
- control such as Git).
- 3+ years Experience with IaaS and PaaS architecture and deployments.
- 5+ years Experience working with any of configuration management tools (Puppet/Salt, or equivalent).
- 3+ years experience as DevOps/SRE engineer.
- 3+ years experience in Java and JVM, C and Linux system including expertise in low-latency kernel level optimizations
- Hands-on experience with HA configuration, performance tuning, ETL and automation
- Experience with performance tuning on Linux kernels.
- Deep knowledge of search engines like Apache Lucene and Solr/Elasticsearch
- Capacity planning, for both horizontal and vertical scaling on a platform
Nice to have:
- Experience with distributed systems, RESTful architectures and scalable, low-latency systems that provide high availability
- Experience in one or more programing languages used in infrastructure (Ruby, PHP, Python, Java, Go as well as familiarity with version
- Knowledge of Kafka, Spark and the Hadoop ecosystem of technologies or MySQL
- Experience with a container platform (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Experience managing a full application stack with high availability requirements.
- Involvement in some on-premise to cloud migration, or some container adoption strategy.
- Expertise in performance testing tools and best practices.
- Experience with public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, AZURE).
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Science, Math or equivalent experience
Other things we will notice:
- An active GitHub account.
- Attend Devops/SRE meetups.
- Database, NoSQL, or Caching exposure.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.