Software Engineer – Internal Incubator
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. We use open source technology to build our own platforms and engineering tools. We move fast, build to scale, and approach each challenge with agility and creativity.
The Emerging Systems teams is one of Wayfair’s internal incubators that helps tackle problems of growth and scale. We’ve enabled teams to process their data streams with kafka, explored technologies to allow teams to create their own internal apps, streamlined data synchronizations, and more. We help teams across the company identify problems, propose and test solutions, and put those solutions into production.
We are looking to hire sharp, logical thinkers who love to experiment with new technologies, and are passionate about solving problems.
Things You'll Do
- Collaborate with teams across the business to design & build proofs of concept, incorporate feedback, and make things work better, faster, and more efficiently.
- Own projects from inception to production. Identify, experiment, and evaluate to determine which tools and technologies to use.
- Craft requirements and success metrics for your projects.
- Develop/review software architecture, review code, mentor and share your knowledge with others.
- Improve, enhance, and contribute to open source products.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, growing company where passion and creativity are valued and initiative is rewarded.
- Learn a lot, create some cool stuff, and have fun.
Technologies We Use
Wayfair has a wide array of technologies: object-oriented skills are great, functional programming, database, and scripting language experience are all prized. Knowledge of some of the following technologies is good, and a willingness to learn is even better!
- Apache Kafka
- SQL Server
- React/React Native
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.