Head of Buying
Head of Buying
Wayfair is searching for a well rounded general manager to oversee the Buying team for Wayfair. The Buying organization is responsible for consistently identifying, sourcing, and adding high ROI assortment to Wayfair’s business and is one of the core strategic levers behind our continued growth. The team works across all categories of product to ensure we are adding thousands of new items each year and driving a best in class shopping experience where our customer can find exactly what she’s looking for.
The Head of Buying is mission critical role at Wayfair and requires a true generalist senior leader capable of leading a large team, working with sophisticated analytics, being comfortable helping to drive a software and technology roadmap, diving deep into processes and operations, engaging and negotiating with CEOs of new suppliers, and being a sought after cross-functional partner. The role requires frequent dialogue with Wayfair’s leadership team and has significant visibility throughout the company as he or she works to set a vision for the organization and ensure alignment across partners.
At its essence, you will spend your time focused in the following areas:
- Managing and Leading your Team: The Buying team has 30-40 members and is a talented and ambitious team working on a number of different focus areas including process design, supplier sourcing and negotiation, launch operations and development.
- Identifying Key Assortment Gaps: We need to continue to develop our analytical roadmap for prioritizing gaps to be filled. A big component of this is working closely with the Data Science and Competitive Intelligence teams at Wayfair to build effective tooling to integrate and evaluate large sets of data from within Wayfair and from what we know of our key competitors.
- Driving Launch Speed and Volume: We are just scratching the surface in terms of the number and types of suppliers we could have on Wayfair. Critical to this is leading cross-functional process and operational change to reduce bottlenecks and overseeing a technology roadmap to drive a step change in the number of suppliers we launch and how fast these new suppliers get launched.
- Negotiating and Working with New Suppliers: This team is the voice of Wayfair in the marketplace and introduces many suppliers to the Wayfair ecosystem. You and your management team will lead supplier negotiations with the CEOs and management of these suppliers and set the tone for productive relationships that will last years.
- Working Closely with Cross-Functional Partners: You and your management team are the key thought partners around new assortment for the Heads of all of Wayfair’s businesses and categories. You will need to have a strategic lens on the priorities of these businesses while bringing value-added perspective and expertise around how to make progress on their most pressing priority – driving assortment growth.
- Training Future Wayfair Leaders: The most junior members of the team are part of a rotational program who eventually go on to become future leaders across Wayfair. It’s critical that our training program continue to lead the company in talent development and that we continue to innovate our learning and development program within the group.
Due to the importance of this role, we are looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial, analytical leader who can build relationships, develop a large team, set a strategic vision, and influence a wide array of internal and external stakeholders. At Wayfair, we pride ourselves on having leaders who are “manager-doers.” Our Head of Buying must be senior enough to be entrusted with the strategy of our core business, while also being willing to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds when necessary.
- 10+ years of experience or 4+ years post MBA experience preferred
- 3+ years management experience, including success in building and scaling teams
- Experience in management consulting, private equity, investment banking, or corporate strategy preferred
- Thrives in a high growth, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated experience independently developing a strategy and driving tangible results across teams in an ambiguous environment while leveraging data from a multitude of sources to tell a story and impact the overarching strategy. Advanced excel skills needed
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution” and a “get it done” attitude when time is tight and stakes are high
- Proven experience and passion for working across functions and with c-level leaders, synthesizing multiple points of view and owning a coherent action plan, all while negotiating and influencing others
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to tailor communication style based on the audience
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.