Staff Engineer, Warehouse Management Systems
Staff Engineer, Warehouse Management Systems
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. We’re the creative builders solving complex business problems through the newest and most innovative software in e-commerce. From Marketing Engineering and Proprietary Logistics to Development Platforms and Infrastructure Engineering, we leverage open source technology to create our own platforms and engineering tools, and our continuous deployment environment promotes frequent releases to production. We move fast, build to scale, and approach each challenge with agility and creativity.
The Warehouse Management Systems engineering team is seeking a Staff Engineer/Architect to collaborate and build software that manages supply chain operations across North America, Europe, and Asia. We’re focused on improving customer experience by making sure product is located as close to customers as possible and shipping that product quickly and accurately to make sure it arrives when we say it will. We also look to drive improvements in margin for orders by making the warehouses run efficiently to drive cost savings at all levels of the supply chain. Our growing scale as a company allows us new opportunities to drive cost savings including:
- Pooled shipments into the warehouse to drive cost savings
- Proprietary replenishment algorithms to drive the best assortment geographically close to customers, maximizing warehouse turns and minimizing ship costs and transit times to customers
- Truck load scheduling out of the warehouses and cross docks to minimize transit times to customers, drive shipping cost savings, and reduce damage and lost in transit rates
- Internationalization of our warehouse software to allow us to open warehouses across Europe and Asia; allowing us to open up new supplier opportunities and containerize product to ship to local warehouses on other continents
- Scaling out our third party and proprietary systems to support the business’ plan to grow volume through our warehouses and pool points to 10-20 times current rates
Projects include working on our main e-commerce site to deliver a more engaging ecomm experience for our customers. As you’ll see from the new site design, we’ve abandoned the busyness that plagues most sites (even the big ones) and we’re working to more effectively court our users during their online experience. We have many concurrent projects currently that include everything from our revolutionary recommendation engine to the nano-second processing of orders.
We don't care what language you grew up with...we have a wide array of technologies here. OO skills are great; functional programming and scripting language experience are prized as well.
An ideal candidate has:
- Exceptional problem solving skills, experience developing creative solutions to complex problems
- Experience working with large scale systems design and development experience with an OO language. We run a modified LAMP stack, but employ Engineers with a huge variety of technical backgrounds
- Database design, development and performance optimization experience
- Sense of humor and excellent communication skills
- Desire to drive projects, mentor, teach and lead teams
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.