Senior Android Engineer - Emerging Technologies
Senior Android Engineer - Emerging Technologies
The Wayfair Story
Wayfair’s founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
From Marketing Engineering and Proprietary Logistics, to Development Platforms and Infrastructure Engineering, we leverage open source technology to create our own platforms and tools. Our continuous deployment environment promotes frequent releases to production. We build our market share by providing innovative, technical solutions for our customer’s needs and by identifying opportunities for continuous improvement – all while growing our revenue over $5+ billion.
As a founder-led company with a global footprint, we continue to look for pragmatic, innovative problem solvers to join our Engineering team. If you are truly passionate about technology and can move across the stack to craft solutions for customers, this role may be for you.
How Will You Be Challenged?
This is a great opportunity to work with Android at scale, contribute to an app used by millions worldwide, while being backed by an organization that is experiencing explosive growth. You will be joining small, agile team of developers who will be rapidly prototyping emerging technology solutions for huge customer problems, ultimately creating key features within our consumer apps. Your projects will include partnerships with Computer Vision, Room Planner and the Wayfair Next team which means you will be working with cutting edge technologies, and within innovative processes, to build on the foundation of our award-winning applications.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our Way Day promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
- We have been deep into a process of re-architecting our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps.
What Will You Do?
- Write high quality Java and Kotlin code in collaboration with iOS and Android developers.
- Investigate and build solutions for core customer problems utilizing 3D, AR & more.
- Work with designers to refine our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Android best practices.
- Collaborate actively with backend developers on features that span web/mobile web and the native apps.
- Review code and provide clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups, as well as investigate and propose new ideas for advancing development practices.
Who Are You?
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent, and at least 2 years of professional Android development experience.
- You have a deep understanding of Android fundamentals, interacting with endpoints, debugging using breakpoints, and memory management on Android.
- You are interested in emerging technologies and have started playing with ARCore.
- You have a passion for writing clean, readable, and thoroughly tested code.
- You are excited to learn about new libraries and technologies, and stay on the cutting edge of the evolving mobile landscape.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.