Senior Product Manager
If you're passionate about e-commerce and creating scalable operational systems that will drive our business and elevate customer, supplier, and employee experiences, we are looking for you to join our Process Innovation department and lead our Supply Chain Planning product team.
You must be able to transform data into insights and strategy to improve the operational software that enables Wayfair to achieve its business goals. You will lead a small team of associate product managers to oversee the execution of the technology roadmap for the Supply Chain Planning platform. You will be responsible for developing ideas for new algorithmic product, tools and data management enhancements, and ensuring that we’re pushing the bounds of creativity and innovation, consistently executing at a high level. You will work cross functionally with senior management, making appropriate project-related trade offs across brands, and measuring success of the team’s initiatives.
Your team will be managing the end-to-end project management life-cycle for technically complex strategies, from ideation and requirements gathering to prioritization, implementation, and post-launch support. Working with developers and stakeholders across the organization, you would also help craft the long-term vision for platform technology products and help scale important customer-facing programs driven by these products.
The Supply Chain Planning zone is responsible for generating value for Wayfair through accurate forecasting and efficient replenishment of goods into the Wayfair warehouse network. The team works with business partners across forecasting, replenishment, strategic account management and sales & operations planning to define potential areas of impact. It then works to peel back these impact areas to understand more specific opportunities in inbound procurement recommendations, post-order creation inventory management, scalability and stability of inbound initiatives and other operational verticals. This includes working with Operations Research and Data Science teams to prototype and implement predictive algorithms that influence optimal positioning of goods to maximize profit and minimize lead time to the customer while maintaining an optimal cost profile, providing business users with intuitive user interfaces that allow them to interact with the systems and building capabilities within ancillary business functions to replenishment.
What you will do:
- Define and measure business impact of product enhancements in your zone, and monitor performance of the team’s initiatives
- Develop and maintain technology platform road map and disseminate regular updates to key stakeholders
- Counsel business leaders in operations and other departments on workflow optimization and process definition
- Serve as internal subject matter expert on all facets of technology platform
- Lead and mentor a team of business analysts
- Work with your team to translate the vision of the operational departments into robust, intuitive products
- Work closely with senior managers across the organization to ensure the vision aligns with broader company objectives
- Utilize data to understand the scope, impact and priority of our business objectives, and enable the team to transform that knowledge into system enhancements and new features
- Communicate performance metrics to key stakeholders throughout the organization
- Guide resourcing on your team and supporting technology teams to ensure on-budget delivery of products and enhancements
Example initiatives you will lead:
- Inventory Planning Process Management – Support the Inventory Planning teams as the Wayfair ecosystem evolves. This includes transitioning the systems to handle increased granularity of item information; understanding that a sellable unit may be made up of many smaller components and assisting in the globalization of the product catalog. Other key components of the process management initiative will be the automation and improvement of various processes to unlock efficiencies in replenishment such as:
- Determining target items for replenishment
- Velocity management of underperforming SKUs
- Opportunistic replenishment programs
- Replenishment Recommendations - Develop and improve functionality of Wayfair’s replenishment system. This will include creating solutions for different parcel sizes with different cost profiles (blenders vs. couches), replenishment into the global warehouse network, international pooling at overseas factories and other permutations of inbound replenishment activities with the end goal of driving shorter delivery guarantees to Wayfair’s customer and higher profitability.
- Forecasting Improvement – Drive higher accuracy into the Wayfair forecast processes. The includes creating a technology solution for better collaboration on exceptional demand (B2B, Promotions, etc.) and normal demand forecasting (analysis of Wayfair growth rates, seasonality, etc.) This also involves working with the Sales and Operations Planning teams to improve the inbound and outbound volume forecasting at Wayfair warehouses, pool points, cross-docks and delivery agents.
- Visibility & Monitoring – Work with business stakeholders to define metrics for determining success in replenishment space. This includes high level financial metrics, process metrics, system health metrics and other supporting data to drive decision making and tracking of programs. Create visibility into both these metrics and business operations through the form of dashboards, user interfaces, automated alerting that are highly flexible and user friendly and allow for drilling into many levels of granularity.
- 5+ years product management experience working with operational systems
- 3+ years’ experience successfully managing and developing highly effective teams
- Bachelor’s degree in either a technology or business discipline
- Deep understanding of business strategy and metrics
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights
- Passionate about building functional and engaging user experiences
- Strongly collaborative and effective in a cross-functional environment
- Extensive experience working with Excel is required
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Strong project management skill with ability to get things done
- Technical background, or technical orientation; very comfortable with implementing new technology
- Ability to think strategically and tactically within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution” and ‘get it done’ attitude
- Ability to manage through ambiguity, adversity and conflict to establish focus and deliver against business goals
- Proficient and comfortable with SQL or other relational database query languages
- Subject matter familiarity of replenishment and procurement processes a plus, but not required
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.