Director of Forecasting-Inventory Planning
Director of Forecasting
Accurate forecasting is critical to an efficient supply chain. It is also notoriously hard to get right. Wayfair is looking for a leader to own the forecasts used by our Inventory Planning and S&OP teams to maximize the promise of our rapidly growing ecommerce supply chain that will soon span over 100 facilities in the United States and Europe; and a complex inbound, transfer, and outbound transportation network. We are looking for an analytical person with sound business judgement and strong technical acumen to lead our forecasting team. This role is critical to driving Wayfair’s growth by ensuring accurate forecasts that enable appropriate stock levels and inventory positioning, and efficient deployment of capital.
The Director of Forecasting will lead multiple teams of forecasting analysts, and will coordinate closely with a Data Science team that is building out a baseline, machine-learning demand forecast. The Director and his or her team will be responsible for analyzing the accuracy of the machine-learning forecast, improving it for use by multiple operational teams in real-time, and identifying opportunities to systematically improve upon it in the future. The Director will develop and own the enhancement roadmap followed by both the machine-learning and analytics teams, and coordinate the work of those teams to continuously improve the forecasts.
Successful forecasting is a foundational requirement for many downstream KPIs including: in-stock rates, inventory turns, delivery times and fulfillment services growth. The Director has a huge opportunity to drive results across many of our business lines. This is a leadership role that will be highly visible to our senior leaders.
The ideal candidate has successful cross functional project management experience, and can balance analytical thinking with effective communication. Interest in leading others and a vested interest in the team is a must. We welcome applications from high caliber professionals who are looking for the next chapter of their careers.
- Develop our strategy for product-level forecasts
- Measure and report on forecasting accuracy
- Lead a team of forecasting managers and analysts who are creating the forecasts used by product availability planners and the S&OP teams
- Work closely with those planners to translate forecasts into product orders, and collect feedback on forecast accuracy and utility to inform future development
- Work closely with category merchants and promotional teams to collect input necessary to create accurate forecasts and stock levels for key items
- Work closely with the machine learning data science team to continuously improve the forecast
- Articulate the forecasting agenda with senior leaders within Wayfair, and other department leads, to maintain high levels of buy-in and support for the agenda
- Interact with key supplier partners to gain buy-in on our forecasts
Skills and Requirements:
- MBA or equivalent experience
- Degree in Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Economics/Finance, Statistics or other concentrations with quantitative focus strongly preferred
- 8+ years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting or supply chain analytics roles
- Ability to lead a team of forecasters to consistently meet KPI goals
- Demonstrated experience building a business or delivering against aggressive targets & goals in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Consistently demonstrated advanced analytical capabilities, along with the ability to use data to develop insight and drive decisions based on those insights
- Proven experience directly managing high-performance, analytical teams
- Senior presence; able to clearly and consistently work side-by-side with a broad range of seniorities and functions to achieve objectives
- Analytical thinker who looks for (and finds) answers in the data
- Ability to hit the ground running – a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Ability to manage and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and determine root causes of problems, and implement solutions
- Experience in business and data analytics, including Excel & SQL
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
- Process oriented, with a tireless focus on quality of output and throughput
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.