Senior Android Developer (Java)
Senior Android Developer (Java)
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
About This Role
This role is part of an initiative to bring on board senior Java developers with a passion for clean code and a strong interest in becoming Android developers. Successful candidates will be offered in-depth training on Android app development and Wayfair best practices. Upon completion of the training, you will be matched with one of several teams that comprise Android, iOS and full-stack developers, who develop Wayfair’s main customer-facing Android application.
Who Are You?
- A team player – someone who easily adapts to the situation and puts the team agenda first.
- You are passionate about providing the best customer experience
- You have worked with product managers and other stakeholders to define features and develop roadmaps.
- You are excited to learn Android and level up your technical knowledge of the rapidly growing mobile space.
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent, at least 4 years of professional Java development experience, and are an expert in Object Oriented Programming concepts
What Will You Do?
At Wayfair, developers own and foster the innovation of their team and their initiatives. This will include:
- Writing high quality Java code in collaboration with iOS and Android developers.
- Meeting with product managers to break down ideas and user stories into tickets.
- Working with designers on refining our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Android best practices.
- Collaborating actively with backend developers on features that span web/mobile web and the native app.
- Reviewing code and providing clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups, as well as investigating and proposing new ideas for advancing our development practices.
How Will You Be Challenged?
You will be learning how to develop for a completely new platform in a fairly short amount of time, which in itself can be quite challenging. As an Android developer, you will be joining a growing team of developers working on a variety of projects and owning some key features within our consumer apps. This is a great opportunity to work with Android at scale, contribute to an app used by millions worldwide, while being backed by an organization that is experiencing explosive growth.
- Our native app won a Webby Award for our use of ARKit to allow our customers to render our furniture as 3D models in their living space.
- Waychat: An in-app messaging service that gives shoppers the ability to chat with customer service agents in real-time and through the main Wayfair Android app. This is built using GraphQl and push notifications for message delivery. The Waychat messaging service is now being used across Wayfair for a variety of other applications.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.