Senior Software Engineer
The Enterprise Engineering team is responsible for maintaining and creating most of the internal tools used for efficient work, management of employees, and integrations with IT support at Wayfair. We have our own ticketing system which is used by nearly all the employees, that allows users to custom-build Kanban-style queues to work on very Wayfair specific tasks. The team also manages other tools like access control using Sailpoint, vacation tracking, headcount tracking, and other people-management tools. As Wayfair grows, it relies more and more towards custom solutions, and this provides a great opportunity to build scalable systems from scratch. The team interacts with various internal departments like Talent Management, Sales and Service, IT among others to build new tools to meet their needs.
Examples of Projects
- Workflow Management, aelf-service ticketing system, where uses can create their own rules to view / action tickets. This is built with a MS-SQL backend store, and a backbone.js & php MVC front-end. In the future, adoption of graphql or rest endpoints will enable us to more easily segment components of the system, and adoption of caching strategies will allow the system to scale better.
- Build integrations with 3rd party vendors like Workday (Wayfair’s HRIS platform), SailPoint (Identity Management), Beamery (a solution for source candidate management), Jobvite (an applicant tracking system) & more to create processes which can communicate back and forth between these systems and our purpose-built admin system that houses all tools used by every employee at Wayfair.
- A performance management tool for Sales and Service employees, built on top of the Workflow Management platform.
- A Calibration tool used by HR & director-level employees to calibrate employees after performance reviews. Built using react & php MVC, this tool allows for users to set salary guidance, bonuses, equity grants & aggregate review scores to streamline the process of the bi-yearly review cycle
- Creating APIs for external integrations with the Wayfair ticketing system, used by our external partners, as well as many other Engineering teams at Wayfair.
This role will be a key contributor as a full-stack, full life-cycle engineer, capable of working both independently and within in team to accomplish tasks and projects assigned. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are required to successfully interact with our business team. The ideal candidate will be experienced with PHP (or object-oriented languages like Java, C++, C# or Scala) and SQL along with object-oriented design. All of our tools are web based, so experience with client side technologies like React/JS, CSS & HTML is a must.
An Ideal candidate has
- 2-5+ years of professional experience as a full stack, full lifecycle software engineer.
- 2-5+ years of OOP using PHP, C++, C# or Java (must be willing to learn PHP).
- 2+ years of SQL (Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, must be willing to learn T-SQL) & relational database schema design.
- Experience gathering requirements from business stakeholders and deriving software requirements.
- Experience with MVC design patterns.
- Great communication skills and ability to communicate development with business users
- Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Nice to have
- Knowledge of advance SQL tips and tricks
- Experience with large & complex datasets
- Experience with scaling architecture
- Experience with monitoring tools like Kibana, Datadog etc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.