Senior Software Engineer - Transportation
Wayfair is looking for experienced, full-stack developers to join our Transportation Engineering team. The Transportation team's systems ensure Wayfair can rapidly and reliably deliver orders to customers -- everything from 5 ounce Christmas tree ornaments to 3500 pound concrete fountains. We coordinate the flow of information between customers, suppliers, warehouses, carriers, home delivery agents, and more -- all to support the delivery of over 1 million orders every month.
We work across the stack -- from backend systems processing updates from carriers, to internal tools allowing our agents to schedule truckload movements, to front-end applications helping customers to stay up to date as orders makes their way through our network.
Our ideal engineer has a background working with complex data systems and fast iteration in an agile environment. We deeply value: curiosity, collaboration, and an eagerness to make an impact on the business.
An ideal candidate will:
- Have 5+ years of relevant experience with database-backed applications, including schema design and complex reporting
- Have experience with PHP or similar scripting languages (or eager to learn)
- Be strongly motivated to apply technical skills to solve tough business problems
- Embrace the opportunity to help their fellow engineers as they do the same
- Management position, if desired
- Managing the flow of containers of goods being shipped from overseas
- Planning, tendering and tracking truckload movements throughout our North American delivery network
- Coordinating the final stages of delivery (the “final mile”), including live customer tracking of delivery trucks
- Fine-grained control over injection of small parcel freight into the UPS and FedEx networks
- Overhauling how Wayfair processes large parcel returns from our customers
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.