Sr. Staff Engineer - Architect
Wayfair’s Supply Chain Engineering (SCE) team is creating software solutions to address the real world operational challenges related to the physical movement of goods to our customers’ doorsteps. SCE tools enable our fulfillment, delivery, and assembly services to offer clearly differentiated value that gives Wayfair a competitive edge in the home goods market.
Interacting with all parts of the Supply Chain Engineering team and many external collaborators, the Sr. Staff Engineer will serve as an Architect and Platform leader to influence and positively impact software architecture and development across SCE.
The ideal candidate has great depth working with complex, transactional data systems. We're a very heavy SQL Server shop, and don't plan on moving away from the relational model any time soon. We're looking for someone who can:
- Help develop a vision for how to evolve our architecture.
- Work in the trenches with the teams that build and run our systems to drive towards that better architecture.
- Improve how we operate our systems, once we release them into production.
At Wayfair, we want every new hire to help raise the bar for our engineering teams -- to bring in new ideas, to mentor strong junior engineers, and to serve as a model of a technical leader. All of these aspects are particularly important for this role. We value people who are: risk-taking, data-oriented & collaborative.
We place a tremendous value on engineers who are excited to make an impact on the overall business (and aren't afraid of a scrappy, pragmatic solution to do so). We can be flexible about technical background -- most of the key systems in our domain are PHP on top of SQL Server, but some of the most successful architects and technical leaders came to Wayfair with Java or Python backgrounds and learned PHP on the job.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- 6+ years experience in software engineering and/or architecture leadership.
- Demonstrated technical leadership capability (code reviews, scrum, etc.)
- Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically; Ability to set direction and execute the plan.
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience collecting and using data from operational systems.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the peer, and senior leadership levels.
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization.
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude.
- Strong academic record (strong preference for technical, quantitative, or scientific backgrounds).
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.