Senior 3D Modeling Specialist
3D Modeling Specialist for Technical Model Production
The 3D Visualization team is a brand new and rapidly growing and changing team within Wayfair. The team is working on highly visible projects and is driving innovation daily for Wayfair. We are the team responsible for revolutionizing the imagery available to our customers. Within the 3D Viz team, we are building out a new function, where the focus will be on model production (modeling, developing high quality modeling standards, training/educating modelers, and creating modeling resources). Applicants must be ready to take on a lot of responsibility, work hard, learn a lot, and drive big results. An entrepreneurial, self-starter mentality is a must. It is important that applicants are comfortable with change and rigorous prioritization of work.
The 3D Modeling Specialist will part of a team of technically-minded artists, and must have expert technical skills in our suite of software, and have the portfolio to show for it. We are looking for someone who is not only able to produce high quality 3D models, but who can also teach it and help develop a modeling curriculum that is best in the industry. Successful candidates will have the passion, drive, and desire to constantly improve.
- Work closely with account management team to build and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders, namely modelers, to onboard into model production program to significantly scale product modeling pipeline
- Comprehend technical and visual model quality standards, and diagnose and provide feedback on technical issues and visual discrepancies
- Provide model QA feedback to external parties, and fix nearly complete models to finish them to our standards
- Effectively communicate these requested updates to supplier partners (clear, concise written feedback or jumping on a call)
- Help define and enforce technical 3D modeling standards from diverse pipelines at different stages of maturity
- Develop comprehensive 3D modeling curriculum with 3D artist team tailored to Wayfair standards, and communicate external partner feedback to internal stakeholders for follow-up
- Help the team optimize existing processes which will span work with category management, merchandising, engineers, product managers, and 3rdparty contractors
- Lead and assist in special projects to define and communicate best practices for new processes (example: developing proprietary modeling resources for our modelers to use)
- Create a couple models from scratch to stay fresh in the software and updated on new technologies to make model production process more efficient
- Experience with 3ds Max, and Photoshop
- Demonstrated ability to create photo-realistic 3D models including knowledge of materials, textures, topology, and UV unwrapping
- BA/BS degree, with strong academic record
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically
- Ability and desire to be both technical and creative
- Capacity to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- High degree of comfort with constant change and prioritization
- Great attitude and a sense of humor – we are a hardworking team in an open seating environment!
Nice to Have:
- Demonstrated ability to create photo-realistic renderings from 3D models
- Experience with V-Ray
- Knowledge in lighting
- Knowledge of photography and cameras
- Knowledge of color theory, principles of design, composition
- Familiarity with Maya, Blender, Sketchup, Solidworks, or other 3D package
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 8 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.3 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended September 30, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 6,800 people.Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.