Director of Industrial Engineering
The Director - Industrial Engineering will be a key member of the Wayfair Industrial Engineering team. The role will serve as the leader of the Industrial Engineering team(s) in various Distribution sites in the US & Canada. Identify and implement “Best Practices” and “Best Methods”, support tracking of key performance indicators & initiate process improvements throughout the operation. Develop and revise (as needed) Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for each functional operation while ensuring SOP’s are updated and adhered to on a consistent basis. Experience in leading teams and operating in a matrix reporting environment.
Support the development of RFP’s as needed, perform ROI Analysis and Procurement for various supply chain solutions including hardware, software, & supporting technology.
- Provide direct and indirect leadership to Wayfair’s warehouse teams spanning approximately 10M sq. ft of warehouse space in the US & Canada.
- Lead field organization of ~ 15-20 engineering professionals to drive best practices, adherence to labor standards, and career development.
- Act as owner of Labor Management system. Continue deployment of current system and work with operations teams to refine reporting and process adherence.
- Provide training on lean methods, best practices, and other classical industrial engineering methodologies.
- Provides engineering support for process development and improvement initiatives to reinforce the goal of Operational Excellence.
- Generates and assesses metrics for dissemination of trends that affect service quality and customer reviews through the use of statistics and quality engineering tools.
- Creates and owns operational improvement plans that show future state cost structures.
- Develops “what-if” scenarios to outline operational cost savings at various scales to help inform the technology roadmap.
- Return on Investment / Operational audits for improving flows and productivity
- Practices safe work procedures, and follows all safety rules at all times.
- Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in Engineering, Construction Management, Supply Chain Management, Logistics
- 10 -15 years of experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to travel up to 50%.
- This individual should be detail oriented, with strong analytical and organizational skills, who is also highly results oriented and proactive.
- Knowledgeable of WMS & LMS systems – System rollouts, enhancements, and generating reportingEqually important to your success is the ability to effectively communicate with business partners both local and remote; having excellent communication skills; the ability to handle multiple competing priorities; and a strong customer focus.
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills are required
- Ability to identify critical paths and execute (these may change weekly)
- Involvement with senior management both internally and externally
- Deep knowledge of material handling equipment (Conveyor systems, sortation, Powered Industrial Trucks, Put to Light, WCS applications)
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.