Senior Simulation Engineer
The Wayfair Operations Research team is seeking a Simulation Engineer to help optimize its current supply chain network and simulate the future state of the network by ingesting internal and external data sources, applying advanced modeling and simulation methods, and presenting implementable options and recommendations. They will help develop a model of the supply chain network that represents the current state and then help identify areas for improvement, and ultimately ensure that Wayfair products take the fastest and most cost-efficient path to our customers. They will leverage a deep understanding of principles of simulation, statistics and optimization and their application to solve business problems.
Ideal candidates will be collaborative, results-driven and data-centric with a focus on quality and speed of execution.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build simulation models of network flows and building flows using commercial-off-the-shelf simulation software - model individual components like warehouses and cross docks and processes like receiving freight, putting freight on racks, and picking orders in waves using different types of equipment or conveyance
- Gather and validate requirements and input data
- Perform value-stream analyses through the use of simulations
- Contribute to developing a decision-making framework with quantifiable tradeoffs for the entire order fulfillment process including supply and demand planning, process design, and throughput improvements
- Optimize supply chain network layouts by analyzing throughput capabilities, bottlenecks, inventory placement, and optimal routing
- Develop a visualization framework to capture both high level network operations and detailed node-level operations and generate concise, clearly communicated analysis for stakeholders
- Understand industry trends for simulation techniques and advance team capabilities
- Degree in Operations Research, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Logistics or Supply Chain
- 4+ years of experience in simulation and modeling
- Experience modeling complex logistics systems, material flow, and/or inventory systems
- Experience building process flow simulation models with at least 1 discrete-event simulation tool, preferably Anylogic
- Experience with designing, developing, testing and maintaining scalable analytical frameworks for evaluating business decisions
- Manage simulation frameworks to provide recommendations to stakeholders to make decisions about Wayfair infrastructure and processes for the near-term and long-term
- Experience with languages like Java, Python or SQL along with a familiarity with source code version control (e.g. Git)
- Experience with data visualization
- Knowledge of statistics, uncertainty, sensitivity analysis, design thinking, databases, systems, algorithms and Monte Carlo methods
- Communicate effectively with operations leads, planners, industrial engineers, product managers, and engineers
- Ability to work independently in a highly variable and fast-paced environment
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.