Senior iOS Developer
Wayfair’s founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
From Marketing Engineering and Proprietary Logistics, to Development Platforms and Infrastructure Engineering, we leverage open source technology to create our own platforms and tools. Our continuous deployment environment promotes frequent releases to production. We build our market share by providing innovative, technical solutions for our customer’s needs and by identifying opportunities for continuous improvement – all while growing our revenue over $5+ billion.
As a founder-led company with a global footprint, we continue to look for pragmatic, innovative problem solvers to join our Engineering team. If you are truly passionate about technology and can move across the stack to craft solutions for customers, this role may be for you.
How will you be challenged?
While we are one of the largest iOS dev groups in Boston, we are organized in loosely coupled teams where senior developers own the architecture of a feature like messaging, checkout, or visual search. This is a great opportunity to join a community of seasoned professionals rising to the challenge of building an app used by millions worldwide, backed by an organization experiencing explosive growth.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our WayDay promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
- We re-architected our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps.
What Will You Do?
At Wayfair, senior developers drive and foster innovation across within one or multiple teams. This is exhibited by behaviors that include:
- Meeting with product managers and backend developers to architect features, and lead the work to be tackled by the team.
- Modeling clean, performant, and well-tested code for your team
- Working with designers on refining our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Apple best practices.
- Anticipating areas for improvement and investment, and highlighting these for inclusion in a team’s project roadmap.
- Reviewing code and providing clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups.
- Championing and implementing new ideas to help us work better together.
There are also a number of other opportunities for senior developers to expand their impact and influence beyond their team, including:
- Participating in cross-team workgroups to improve our approaches to testing, UI components, GraphQL, or other areas.
- Mentoring and teaching junior developers entering as new hires or as part of our new entry-level bootcamp program: Wayfair Mobile Labs.
- Giving back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
- Collaborating with our mobile platform team to improve our build processes, automation, and CI/CD.
Who Are You?
Within Wayfair iOS, our senior developers have a variety of backgrounds and strengths, but common among them are:
- Fluency in Swift, from a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry working experience.
- Familiarity with mobile engineering challenges including performance and memory management concepts
- 3+ years of professional mobile development experience on publically available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- 1+ years of leading teams in a senior capacity (tech lead, architect)
- Have architected or designed complex features with product managers or other stakeholders
- A genuine belief that constructive and respectful code reviews are the bedrock of a healthy team.
- An eagerness to create experiences that will delight users.
Further to this, other bits of experience that we’d love to discuss further with you if you have them:
- Experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc)
- Knowledge of GraphQL, SQL, and/or PHP
- Validating user hypotheses with prolific implementations of A/B testing
- Familiarity with building retail ecommerce apps
We are a team of individuals from a variety of backgrounds including startups, non-profits, and large companies. We are interested in senior talent who envision themselves in one of many different leadership paths. We support relocation for individuals interested in working in our Boston office, and we hope that you don’t think it’s weird that we take time as a team to watch all of the Apple livestreams.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.