Site Reliability Engineer - Linux
At Wayfair, we are looking to strengthen and grow our Production Operations team by bringing on board talented SRE engineers to join our windows team that manages large scale physical and virtual server environment that underpins our global e-commerce platform. In this role, you will be involved with and exposed to a wide variety of systems and technologies. The team is aggressively moving towards “Infrastructure as Code” model. We are looking for someone with “automation” mindset. A willingness to work with Linux systems is a plus.
Some of our larger initiatives include:
- End to End Automation of system builds
- Ongoing scaling of our platform to support forecasted holiday traffic
- Puppet module standardization and improving automation of systems, processes, and services
- Data center expansion and moving to the cloud
Responsibilities for the team include, but are not limited to:
- Own SLA for Production Systems
- Drive faster MTTD/MTTR for critical systems
- Troubleshoot independently Sev1/Sev2 incidents
- Own/Manage/Support baseline Operating System image/templates
- Support CI/CD
- Maintain and review DSC/puppet modules and support the provisioning infrastructure
- Own and operate all package repos (python/java/rpm/etc.) using tools such as Pulp, Artifactory, etc.
- Drive efficiencies across hybrid cloud (GCP, Azure, OnPrem)
- Invent innovative ways to drive production operational efficiency
- Drive scalability and operability of supported systems/infrastructure
- Own production systems scaling & throughput
- Work with other teams to provide consultations in systems architecture support for new and existing production systems
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Create and maintain detailed documentation
- BA or BS degree from a 4-year college or university desired
- 3-5years’ systems administration/Site Reliability/Platform/DevOps background
- Experience with infrastructure including but not limited to data center operations, server hardware, web servers (IIS, jboss, etc.), databases (MS SQL, mySQL, mongoDB), virtualization (VMware), networking, storage, monitoring, etc.
- Experience with structured programing languages (PowerShell, Python, etc.)
- Experience with .NET and RestAPI is a plus
- Experience with continuous integration platforms such as Jenkins, Bamboo, Gitlab CI etc.
- Understanding of Agile, ITIL, DevOps practices such as CI/CD, automated testing etc.
Other traits we look for:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to make data-driven decisions
- Get excited by being assigned tasks/projects that you have no idea how to do
- ‘No I have never touched it before, but give me a chance and I will figure it out!’ attitude
- An easy-going attitude and strong sense of humor
- A positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Driven to learn and try new things
- An analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
And finally, our proposition to you!
- Of course the usual competitive salary, bonus and we share the company with you in stock units
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops and other exciting events
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally and closely with senior leadership not only in the Berlin office, but also with Boston, London and Galway
- We offer a vast selection of classes through our learn@work program to enhance your professional and personal development.
- We want you to connect with your team and fellow colleagues through regular social events
- We’re in the heart of the Berlin startup scene with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.