Director of Strategic Sourcing and Wayfair Basics
Director of Strategic Sourcing and Wayfair Basics
Wayfair is searching for a well-rounded general manager with a strong senior presence to oversee multiple key strategic priorities for Wayfair. This leader would oversee the Wayfair Basics, Buying, and Asia Direct businesses and their teams while serving as the key executive responsible for vision setting, roadmap development and execution, and results delivery for these initiatives. Each of these areas is highly dynamic, fast growing and critical to Wayfair’s success. As such, the incoming leader would have the opportunity to work at a senior level across the end to end Wayfair business and have significant cross functional exposure. Descriptions of each of the areas that this leader would oversee are below.
The Wayfair Basics business is one of the fastest growing businesses at Wayfair. The team manages the P&L for the majority of our highest volume items with a focus on the opening price point assortment across all of Wayfair’s key categories. The Basics’ business is expanding in to new items and product classes very quickly as we look to 5x the business in 2019 and continue to drive gains in customer lifetime value for Wayfair. This business is a core growth lever for each of our categories and is highly cross functional – requiring partnership with our data science team, operations and logistics functions, category leadership, merchandising, marketing, promotions, etc. Additionally you would work closely with leadership at our top suppliers to drive a comprehensive negotiation strategy.
The Buying team is responsible for driving topline revenue by growing our assortment and bringing on new suppliers to Wayfair and its marketplace. The team is highly cross functional in nature as each category leader relies on this team to fill the right assortment gaps, negotiate with new suppliers, and launch these items quickly and in the right way to drive sales. Success in this role requires being heavily involved in leading a technology roadmap, heavy operational and process focus to drive speed and efficiency, and also the ability to set the vision for what the Buying team of the future looks like.
What You'll Do
As the incoming leader you would be responsible for defining Wayfair’s strategy about how we launch Asia-based suppliers and then building a team and platform around that vision. There is significant opportunity to exponentially expand our assortment and to increase our competitiveness by working directly with Asian suppliers. This is a key area around which Wayfair is looking to invest and ensuring that we have the right approach to this and that we can build a team around this area will ensure that expand our competitive advantage.
- Setting the vision and strategy for your teams: You will own the vision, strategy, and results across your team helping to drive focus and impact across Wayfair’s business.
- Managing, building and leading your teams: You will be responsible for overseeing this ~50 person (and growing) team and building it to align with your strategy and vision.
- Expanding the Basics business: You will oversee the continued rapid growth of Wayfair Basics – ensuring that we drive customer lifetime value through expanding the offering, building a platform to consolidate demand to the best SKUs, and building a powerful brand.
- Bringing Buying team to the next level: Critical to the success of Wayfair’s assortment is ensuring that our new supplier onboarding process continues to drive negotiation wins, onboarding speed, supplier self-service, and strategic trade-offs around how to best fill gaps.
- Launching Asia Direct: This brand new initiative is key to Wayfair’s success and you will own the end to end launch and growth of this platform – ensuring that we thoughtfully and rapidly expand the competitiveness of our offering through Asia-based suppliers.
- Serving as a cross functional thought leader: You will serve as a key thought partner for other leaders due to the importance of your organization for multiple teams across Wayfair.
What You'll Need
- 10+ years of experience or 4+ years post MBA experience preferred
- 3+ years management experience, including success in building and scaling teams
- Experience in management consulting, private equity, investment banking, or corporate strategy preferred
- Thrives in a high growth, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated experience independently developing a strategy and driving tangible results across teams in an ambiguous environment while leveraging data from a multitude of sources to tell a story and impact the overarching strategy. Advanced excel skills needed
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution” and a “get it done” attitude when time is tight and stakes are high
- Proven experience and passion for working across functions and with c-level leaders, synthesizing multiple points of view and owning a coherent action plan, all while negotiating and influencing others
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to tailor communication style based on the audience
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.