General Manager, CastleGate Strategy and Operations
CastleGate was created to dramatically improve consumers’ shopping experience, and develop a unique competitive advantage for Wayfair. We do this by offering one and two-day delivery times, lower prices, and higher delivery quality of home products than has historically been possible. This is a distinct competitive advantage for Wayfair and one that will be the main driver to our future growth and success.
CastleGate is growing quickly, and at the same time our service offering is expanding rapidly, which introduces both more power and more complexity to the solutions we offer. Continuing to drive this rapid progress, and guiding CastleGate from $100M to $1BN in revenue, will require a senior leadership team capable of building and executing strategy, developing innovative and high caliber teams, and partnering with suppliers at the most senior levels to advise them on making transformational decisions about the way they operate.
As a General Manager on the CastleGate team you will have the ability to:
- Own and drive a part of the business that has real and immediate impact on the overall success of Wayfair.
- P&L owner: drive revenue by 100%+ for multiple years, while managing profitability and supplier experience.
- Develop and execute transformational strategies that generate a game-changing competitive advantage and enduring customer satisfaction.
- Partner with a team of smart, motivated and driven individuals in an environment that is both collaborative and risk taking.
About the Role:
We are looking for a General Manager over of our new Strategy and Operations team within CastleGate. Operating at the intersection of operations and business strategy, this team has been created to drive a key initiative at Wayfair: by increasing the availability of product with fast delivery, Wayfair can improve customer experience, drive significant revenue growth, and provide a competitive advantage for Wayfair. The General Manager will partner with the leader of the one of our major categories to develop a strategy to use product availability as a major lever of category growth, and will then direct the execution of this strategy.
To be successful in this role will require a combination of creativity, analytics, understanding of business operations, and relationship management. It will involve strategic supplier and item selection, supply-chain optimization decisions, demand consolidation tactics, and other new, category-specific solutions the General Manager will develop. With any of these initiatives, you will need to work with teams across the company such as category management, warehousing, engineering, and finance, and regularly engage with C-level executives, including the COO and CEO.
- Develop and execute the strategy for how to most effectively operate CastleGate’s next generation ecommerce supply chain to optimize consumer experience, supplier partnerships, and business growth in one of Wayfair’s four product verticals.
- Responsible for consumer experience: drive in-stock rates and the coverage of speed badging on site, while ensuring inventory health and strong supplier partnerships.
- Build and develop a team of Inventory Managers who will partner with suppliers to cost-efficiently move hundreds of millions of dollars of inventory through the CastleGate supply chain and their own to create an exceptional consumer experience.
- Build deep and collaborative relationships with suppliers – both in the C-suite and at the implementation level – so that they implicitly trust our guidance both in managing their inventory and in designing how their ecommerce supply chain evolves.
- Member of the CastleGate leadership team that will guide the evolution of the business, allocate resources to existing opportunities, identify future opportunities for new CastleGate services, and direct the development and deployment of those services.
- Examples of team activity: guide a supplier’s production plans and ordering cadence to make sure Chinese New Year doesn’t disrupt product availability. Determine how to use their supply chain and ours to optimally position inventory balancing cost of storage and speed availability.
- 10+ years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting, investment banking or private equity
- MBA strongly preferred
- Proven experience directly managing high-performance teams with strong analytics capabilities
- Ability to lead a team to consistently meet KPI goals
- Demonstrated experience building a business or delivering against aggressive targets & goals in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Senior presence; able to clearly and consistently work side-by-side with a broad range of seniorities and functions to achieve objectives
- Strong analysis capabilities, along with the ability to use data to develop insight and drive decisions based on those insights
- Articulate, persuasive communicator with excellent negotiations and relationship-building skills
- Ability to hit the ground running – a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Ability to manage and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and determine root causes of problems, and implement solutions
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
- Process oriented, with a tireless focus on quality of output and throughput
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.