Head of Wayfair Basics
Head of Wayfair Basics
Wayfair is searching for a well-rounded general manager to oversee the Basics brand and assortment for Wayfair. The Wayfair Basics business is one of the fastest growing organizations at Wayfair and is responsible for managing the P&L for the majority of our opening price point business across the company both within and outside of the brand. These items are Wayfair’s highest volume items and continuing to grow this business is crucial to Wayfair’s success against key competitors while driving gains in customer lifetime value.
There are two strategic and very large initiatives within the Wayfair Basics business:
- Growing and Driving Customer Affinity to the Wayfair Basics Brand: Ensure Wayfair Basics is the customer’s first stop for all commodity and opening price point items. This brand houses high volume and lower priced SKUs offering our customers great quality and great value and ensures that Wayfair is our customer’s destination for everything home
- Expand Wayfair Basics Assortment: Drive exponential sales growth for the thousands of opening price point SKUs that don’t currently live within the Basics brand by leveraging the processes, tools, and management practices that we leverage within the Basics business. This is a massive expansion for the team and will dramatically shift how we grow our highest volume items within the Wayfair catalog.
To achieve success in this high visibility and complex role, the Head of Wayfair Basics must be a true generalist senior leader capable of leading and growing an increasingly large team, working with sophisticated analytics, diving deep into processes and operations, driving high level supplier negotiation strategy, helping to define and lead a software and technology roadmap, and being a sought after cross-functional partner. The role requires frequent dialogue with Wayfair’s leadership team and has significant visibility throughout the company as he or she works to set a vision for the organization and ensure alignment across partners.
At its essence, you will spend your time focused in the following areas:
- Managing, Growing, and Leading your Team: The Basics team has 15 members today and will need to grow substantially to keep up with its growth. The organization is talented and ambitious and split across supplier facing and operations/analytics teams
- Defining and Growing the Basics Brand and Assortment: This brand is one of our most impactful in terms of volume but there is still significant work to help it reach its potential. You will lead the work to identify key opportunities, define our assortment strategy, source the right items, and lead the efforts around further developing and building the brand.
- Expanding Our Reach Across Wayfair’s Full Catalog: Our current plans are to further take advantage of Basics success by taking on ownership of opening price SKUs across Wayfair’s catalog – even if these items will not live within the Basics brand. This is a massive expansion and you will be at the front of this – leading this growth and redefining how we sell our top selling items across all of Wayfair.
- Negotiating with Senior Level Supplier Contacts: Key to the success of Basics is the team’s development of processes, tools, and techniques to achieve the lowest wholesale costs for our customers. We use a number of cutting edge analytics to achieve this that involve identifying like items and consolidating demand to the best SKU for the customer. You will be Wayfair’s senior external face for the Basics business and a key partner for our most important suppliers
- Working Closely with Cross-Functional Partners: You and your management team are the key thought partners and business leaders around how we source, negotiate for and sell opening price point items. As such, you will work closely with a number of teams including Data Science, Technology Product Management, Senior Category Leadership, Brand Creative, Pricing, Supply Chain, etc. You will also have significant C-level engagement given the importance of this role.
Due to the importance of this role, we are looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial, analytical leader who can build relationships, develop a large team, set a strategic vision, and influence a wide array of internal and external stakeholders. At Wayfair, we pride ourselves on having leaders who are “manager-doers.” Our Head of Basics must be senior enough to be entrusted with the strategy of our core business, while also being willing to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds when necessary.
- 10+ years of experience or 4+ years post MBA experience preferred
- 3+ years management experience, including success in building and scaling teams
- Experience in management consulting, private equity, investment banking, or corporate strategy preferred
- Thrives in a high growth, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated experience independently developing a strategy and driving tangible results across teams in an ambiguous environment while leveraging data from a multitude of sources to tell a story and impact the overarching strategy. Advanced excel skills needed
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution” and a “get it done” attitude when time is tight and stakes are high
- Proven experience and passion for working across functions and with c-level leaders, synthesizing multiple points of view and owning a coherent action plan, all while negotiating and influencing others
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to tailor communication style based on the audience
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.