Software Engineering Manager (Relocate to Boston)
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. We’re the creative builders solving complex business problems through the newest and most innovative software in e-commerce. From Marketing Engineering Service Sales and Proprietary Logistics to Development Platforms and Infrastructure Engineering, we leverage open source technology to create our own platforms and engineering tools, and our continuous deployment environment promotes frequent releases to production. We move fast, build to scale, and approach each challenge with agility and creativity.
We are looking to hire sharp, logical thinkers who aren't married to any one language. For real, we don’t care what language you grew up with! Wayfair has a wide array of technologies; object-oriented skills are great, functional programming and scripting language experience are prized as well.
This role requires you to relocate to Boston, MA.
What will you do?
As an Engineering Manager you will
- Lead multiple sprint teams ranging from 2 to 5 Software Engineers.
- Be responsible for owning features developed by your team in each phase of a project – design, implementation, code review, QA and deployment to production.
- Identify and deliver solutions and strategies to push the boundaries of our tech stack to handle scalability and performance goals.
- Drive the creation and execution of quarterly roadmaps for product enhancements and technical improvements, in collaboration with product management to align with Wayfair’s business strategy.
- Actively mentor and coach all direct reports.
- Plan and budget for headcount resourcing to achieve business objectives.
Why This Job Might Be For You:
- You care about technology, but you don’t care about it for its own sake. You’re not married to specific tools. You’re comfortable moving up and down the stack to solve problems.
- You care about your team. You learn together and you focus on the facts to drive decisions.
- You care about the customer. You won’t be happy if you’re blindly executing on specs.
Who you are?
- A charismatic leader who can run a team of up to 15 Engineers.
- Have the tech acumen to get your hands dirty with the code whenever need be.
- Have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Understanding of software architecture to help empower software developers to leverage the platform with reliability, and more importantly failures in mind
- A great team spirit and are someone who easily adapts to the situation and puts the team agenda first.
- Passion for providing the best customer experience.
- Experience working with cross functional teams and execute product road maps.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.